Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Take on Gantter.com

Getting Organized Free and Easy
Recently, I made a post on my website, 0 Bull Biz, walking through the steps of using a cool tool I heard about online (follow link below to view). The article is dedicated as a walk through in describing how to use a Gantt chart via the free online tool on Gantter.com (see second link).

Links:

Although I went through the steps as to how to use the tool, I did not cover my actual take on the free online service, so that is what I will do now.

The Good
Because I am a glass half full kind of guy I am going to focus on the good aspects of using a Gantt chart at Gantter.com. I bullet d the key points below, but feel its necessary to expand on some of these aspects. For one, it was very simple to register- took no longer than 3 minutes to create and account to get started. I was very pleased with the simple interface which was easy to navigate and be able to do the basics of creating a Gantt (making tasks, timelines, allocating resources, etc). Another large plus is the fact it is online accessible, anywhere I can get internet access I can view the Gantt chart, and this additionally opens up the doors for sharing the tool, making it that much better for group projects. And of course the biggest plus, it is free.
  • Easy Registration
  • Simple Interface
  • Fundamental Capabilities
  • Web accessible (obviously)
  • Can share with other users
  • Free
The Bad
At times the interface would simply be too finicky. For example, when typing in the unit for time it would not accept hours, hrs, etc- only h. However these issues were not overwhelming and could be adjusted to after further use. But when I did run into problems such as formatting, getting assistance via the troubleshooting proved time consuming and not very helpful. Just as being online-accessible can be a pro, there are certainly cons as well. Whenever there was a problem with my connection the tool would be unresponsive and prone to losing data, understandably so. Additionally, yes Gantter allowed me to do the fundamentals of creating a chart, however not much beyond that.
  • Finicky at Times
  • Difficult Troubleshooting
  • Web accessible (saving issues)
  • Limited Capabilities
Assessment
Overall, Gantter is a great free online tool. Although I would not recommend it for high level group projects due to its limited capabilities, its purpose is well served for everything else below that. For that next task you've been looking to accomplish, or that group project, I would highly recommend using Gantter.com for your Gantt diagram needs.

Need to develop quicker ways to solve inefficiencies? Check out the book below:
The Lean Six Sigma Pocketbook

No comments:

Post a Comment